Re: Automatizing package review process

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 05:24:06PM +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> during the last winter holidays I've started to write a new flask app to
> automatize the new package submission process. The goals of this app
> would be:

Awesome. Thanks for working on it!

> - Get rid of manually open and manage Bugzilla tickets. Have the ticket
> filed in a web form (or maybe by CLI), and have the ticket workflow
> managed automatically.

Could we do away with using bugzilla entirely and just keep info in app?

> - Have tests (possibly all) run automatically upon submission instead of
> rely on tests performed locally by a reviewer. This will make package
> submission more secure, review results more consistent and, most of all,
> will speed up the approval process (or at least will give the submitter
> a quick answer whether or not their package adhere to Fedora
> Guidelines). We may have some tests still performed and filed manually
> by reviewers if we cannot make all tests performed automatically, but we
> will not be blocked by a single reviewer.

Great idea. Tests could be re-run on updates to spec/src.rpm as well.

> - When all tests pass, have the package repository automatically created
> in git, import the srpm and fire the build in Rawhide. This will ensure
> that what is approved is what is packaged - later changes will be
> tracked and noted. It will also avoid users to create releng tickets and
> releng folks waste their precious time handling those tickets.

Perhaps you could leverage copr here for all the building and git?
Then you just need to import from copr-dist-git and it handles all the
building,etc.

All that said, we still need a human to look at requests, I don't think
we can 100% automate this. I could make a perfectly valid ffmpeg package
that passes all tests, but it's still not acceptable for fedora.
We could however make it easier to review/approve things, spread the
load to more people and such.

> As this is my first flask project and I can only spend few hours per
> week, the code is still in very early stage. I would have preferred to
> write this announcement with something more "production ready", but
> since this is such a big project I've already realized that I need help
> from users with a lot more experience in flask development. Probably,
> I've already made some mistake in the current code I should be ashamed
>
> So, I've pushed the current code on a Pagure repository [1], it would be
> nice to have some folks working on this together. If, of course, you
> think it's a good idea.
>
> Have a nice time,
> Mattia
>
> [1] https://pagure.io/feluca

Hopefully some folks will be interested in helping here. :)

Thanks again for working on this.

kevin