Re: Proposal to deprecated `fedpkg local`

On Thu, 2021-01-28 at 19:26 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 28. 01. 21 v 15:51 Robbie Harwood napsal(a):
> > Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > Thx everybody for their responses and sorry for such controversial
> > > topic. I am not going to propose this upstream after all. However I have
> > > few takeaways:
> > >
> > > 1) I see responses of Fedora long timers and I understand that you
> > > have polished workflows. But I really think that for newcomers, mock
> > > should be the preferred way. I'd love to see documentation adjusted to
> > > prefer mock everywhere.
> > >
> > > 2) I would really love you to stop using VMs for your build/testing.
> > > With exception of Kernel and Kernel related issues, the argument of
> > > "mock being slow" can't stand. Every VM will be more resources hungry
> > > then mock, slowing every your task.
> > >
> > > 3) The argument of mock being slow can't stand, because in one of my
> > > examples I posted elsewhere in this thread, I picked up the simplest
> > > package I could and the build took 7 seconds. This is certainly not
> > > slow, in this time you can't even switch to your email client to check
> > > your emails.
> > So far on this thread, you've asked feedback on a proposal, and then
> > when provided with feedback you didn't like, repeatedly argued with our
> > comments and told us we're wrong.  This is not a good way to engage with
> > feedback.
>
> I have provided the numbers here:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/4RSZSVMHLIGEYIHLC6NOH3BEWWFQ7JQY/
>
> where I tried to point out that I don't perceive build of trivial
> package done in 7s to be slow. For nontrivial package the mock overhead
> is negligible. Nobody replied (in constructive way). On various places,
> I have suggested to use "--no-clean" option for repeated builds. But in
> the whole thread, there was no confirmation that anyone would use it.
>
> Yet I am repetitively told that mock is slow, you repeat it down bellow
> once again without any evidence. Your only argument to this discussion
> is that mock is slow, because you believe so and other people have said
> so. I would really appreciate if I was given some specific
> counterargument supported by numbers.

That "mock is slow" is just one of the claims, and not the prevalent
one at that.
It is also inconvenient.
Takes disk space and bandwidth I do not care for.
It is complex to use when what you care is to fit the current running
systems.
And in general, for those that do not use it is yet another thing to
learn to use that I personally do not care for learning as I have no
need for it.

You are claiming that "fedpkg local" is bad, we are responding it is
not, we use it and it works better for us.

As for many other things there isn't just one true way, mock works best
for you, and local works best for others, why is that a problem ?

Simo.

> Vít
>

> > In particular, *numerous* people have told you that mock builds are
> > slow for us.  Instead of telling us that we're wrong about our own
> > experience because it doesn't match yours, make an effort to understand
> > what the difference is between them.  Or accept it for what it is:
> > feedback that *you asked for*.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Robbie

Simo Sorce