Re: Proposal: gate stable release critical path updates on openQA test results

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Just to be clear: We're working under the assumption that autopush and
> the other policies we have in place now *reduces* the rate at which
> mistakes are made with the lowest amount of maintainer overhead.

And that is the basic assumption that I have a hard time believing.

What I see is that we are repeatedly having issues caused by not very smart
automagic, and the proposed remedy is always the same: add more automagic to
try and catch the individual problem. Yet, the issues are not going away.

> Kevin is suggesting that he believes that maintainers should be the
> sole arbiters of when a package is pushed, not that maintainers are
> infallible.

Exactly. Nobody is infallible, but an experienced maintainer has a lower
error rate than a software heuristic that simply cannot see the whole
picture.

And the current situation where:
* autopush is enabled by default, and
* Bodhi does not allow pushing manually if the minimum criteria for an
  automatic push (minimum karma value and/or minimum time passed) are not
  yet satisfied
encourages maintainers to enable autopush when they otherwise wouldn't.

E.g., in the old system, I was able to file the update, and come back a week
later and push it to stable if the feedback was good. Now, if I want to do
that, I am forced to check repeatedly whether the 7 days of testing, which
are counted not based on anything I can control, but based on when the push
actually happened, have passed, because Bodhi won't let me push the update
even a microsecond earlier if it did not get that +1 vote (and multiply
everything by 2 for critical path packages). So the maintainers who have
other things to do than checking back all the time whether the magic timeout
has expired will necessarily enable the automagic.

        Kevin Kofler