Re: Proposal: gate stable release critical path updates on openQA test results

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 12:09 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> To rephrase their statements in my own words (and correct me if I get
> them wrong):
> Kevin is suggesting that he believes that maintainers should be the
> sole arbiters of when a package is pushed, not that maintainers are
> infallible.
> Adam is saying that we have tried Kevin's approach previously and
> found it to be less successful on the whole than what we are doing
> right now.

Not quite, no. What I'm saying is that Kevin suggests that if we just
make the process require manual action at each step and remove things
like autopush, maintainers will get it right (AIUI). I'm saying that
IMHO the evidence suggests this is not true, for two reasons:

i) As I recall, before we had autopush or enabled it by default,
maintainers still did things wrong sometimes.

ii) even with autopush, maintainers *can* be more careful, in three
possible ways. They can disable autopush, or they can include the
dependencies in the library update, or they can wait for the library
update to go stable before pushing the dependent update even to
testing.

As I understand Kevin's argument, he's saying that some maintainers
might not bother to do any of those three things, *but* if we disabled
autopush, they *would* check that the updates their update depends on
have gone stable before pushing it stable manually. I'm sceptical that
that is the case.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA