Re: Proposal: gate stable release critical path updates on openQA test results

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 00:46 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> > > But...if the tests pass it doesn't, and I already said that the tests
> > > pretty much always pass and I actively work to resolve any case where a
> > > test fails when it shouldn't.
> > >
> > > You're not going to be waiving results for every update, here. It would
> > > be a pretty rare occurrence.
> >
> > And, also hopefully also a rare occasion, but if this were enabled (and the
> > definitions up to date), problems like
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/CAS6KHTZLR6LUNWEVK3BOIO6HVNQDETZ/#N5HJDKMTGOTL44BT2HZ43LE6Q23345IQ
> > would be caught before they hit users.
>
> I believe we should gate on installability first.
>
> See https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2343

If the package is actually part of the test scenario, openQA
effectively does this. There is a check wired into all the update tests
at the end. It checks whether any package that's in one of the updates
is installed, but is *not* the version from the update, and fails if so
- because this usually means the package was not installable, so when
the test updated the system with the packages from the update
available, dnf did not update it.

openQA won't catch a package not being installable if it is not
actually part of the system-under-test in any of the tests, but most
critical path packages ought to be.

Is there any reason you think these need to go in a particular order?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA