Re: Radeon with 64k page size (ppc64 and others)

On 07/01/2021 19:15, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 18:00:42 +0000
> Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You could make a Change proposal to switch Fedora on POWER back to 4k
>>> page sizes. Or just talk to the Fedora kernel maintainers about
>>> switching it back. We did this four years ago for ARM (as Peter
>>> noted), and if it really continues to be a problem for desktop
>>> POWER systems, then switching back makes sense.
>>
>> The arm team made that change by engaging with all the people that
>> would be impacted after working with the toolchain teams to ensure the
>> userspace had all the needed fixes to ensure it was purely a kernel
>> config change, that was around 18 months work to get to that point
>> (yes, and POWER64 likely benefits from that ~ 10 releases later) but
>> the likes of IBM should be engaged because they obviously also have an
>> interest and are active users/contributors of Fedora on POWER.
>
> I'm talking with them,

Can Fedora ship multiple flavours from a single source package of the
kernel, as in Debian?  This doesn't solve the issue of ensuring every
other package in the archive is rebuilt on a host with the same page
size, but it puts the 4k kernel within reach for many more people.  In
my case, it allowed me to "divide and conquer", probably not the best
metaphor to use this week, but nonetheless, it allowed me to sideline
the page size issues and focus on other issues.

If Fedora can ship both 64k and 4k kernel with an easy way for users to
alternate between them, that could be a middle ground for F-34.

Going completely 4k or completely fixing 64k, either of these directions
requires an effort now.  I can see some hope though:

- can strace or some other mechanism be used during userspace package
builds to see which packages are calling getconf(PAGESIZE / PAGE_SIZE)
from their Makefiles, excluding the unit tests?

- can reproducible builds methods be used to compare userspace packages
built on both 4k and 64k to try and work out which packages are built
differently?

IBM already offered some bounties for work on POWER.  There are a number
of people who may be willing to contribute to parts of this effort if
incentives can be aligned with their projects.  If IBM can make the
hardware more accessible, like the Lenovo offers for developers, that
could also encourage people.

Regards,

Daniel