Re: Radeon with 64k page size (ppc64 and others)

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 7:54 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/01/2021 02:02, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> Unless it's a small fix it'll be 5.12+ now given the main merge window
> >> for 5.11 is closed.
> >
> > Then yeah, we're probably looking at 5.12, since it's ~80 patches last
> > I checked.
>
> This will be good for the workstation installed with the latest Fedora
> if it can use the volumes formatted with 4k and create them that way by
> default.

I suspect that's for the btrfs tools and their maintainers to decide.

> If the user formats a disk such as a USB stick and tries to use it with
> any other GNU/Linux system with an older kernel, such as RHEL, they may
> be surprised.

TBH that's no different for all sorts of filesystems and feature
enhancements to them, always has been.

> With the changes mentioned, will it be possible to have 4k as default
> for mkfs.btrfs unless the user manually overrides it?

I'm sure it's possible, as mentioned above that would be a decision
for the upstream btrfs maintainers, they would be better positioned to
know the impact of such a change.

> As far as I know, there are no problems using ext4 on ppc64el systems
> but as btrfs is now the default, some people may end up with the 64k
> block size if they do an install today using the current Fedora installer.

I suspect the amount of people using btrfs on ppc64le and moving those
disks to other architectures are quite limited especially given it was
just introduced as default in F-33, like everything storage related on
any filesystem backups are always recommended.

> Another hack: maybe the installer can just default to ext4 on this
> architecture until 5.12 is available.

Well given 5.12 will likely be the shipping kernel for F-34 you've
still got a few weeks to liaise with btrfs upstream to see if
everything is going to be in place (kernel/tools etc) to submit a self
contained change for F-34 to ensure this is resolved to your
satisfaction for that release.

Peter