Re: Radeon with 64k page size (ppc64 and others)

On 07/01/2021 02:02, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This issue was mostly resolved for both filesystems years ago. There
>>> is a patchset in review in linux-btrfs@ mailing list that resolves
>>> this problem. I expect that it'll land in Linux 5.11 or 5.12, though Josef may
>>> know more exact details on timelines.
>>
>> Unless it's a small fix it'll be 5.12+ now given the main merge window
>> for 5.11 is closed.
>
> Then yeah, we're probably looking at 5.12, since it's ~80 patches last
> I checked.

This will be good for the workstation installed with the latest Fedora
if it can use the volumes formatted with 4k and create them that way by
default.

If the user formats a disk such as a USB stick and tries to use it with
any other GNU/Linux system with an older kernel, such as RHEL, they may
be surprised.

With the changes mentioned, will it be possible to have 4k as default
for mkfs.btrfs unless the user manually overrides it?

As far as I know, there are no problems using ext4 on ppc64el systems
but as btrfs is now the default, some people may end up with the 64k
block size if they do an install today using the current Fedora installer.

Another hack: maybe the installer can just default to ext4 on this
architecture until 5.12 is available.

Regards,

Daniel