Re: Delta RPMs in Fedora 34

Dne 05. 01. 21 v 0:50 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 06:29:13PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 10:21:15PM +0000, Matthew Almond via devel wrote:
There's been a lot of interesting talk about the state and future of
drpm. I'd like to propose we continue the conversation about that with
a different subject line :)

Okay, fair. I have a proposal.

Right now, the problem is that making delta rpms is expensive, and therefore
we aren't making very many, which makes them even less useful. Plus, we're
only making them between updates and for packages where those updates are
frequent, that means you need to keep on top of things, which may be best
practice but is most difficult for low-bandwidth users who might most
benefit in the first place.

So, the first thing we need to do to fix this is move deltarpm creation out
of the updates process. Kevin Fenzi tells me this would mean we'd need a
separate delta RPMs repo, which doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, but
we're not sure offhand if DNF can handle that without modification.

Yeah, I don't recall how dnf looks for drpms.
Right now they are in the same repo, using the same repodata.

If we moved them to a new repo would they get found correctly?

This would let us make the delta RPMs asynchronously and not block updates.
And, it would also give us the ability to roughly see how important they are
to users, because we could see how popular that repository is compared to
the updates repo.

I also remember when this was a killer feature for Fedora, and without any
real way of judging use and demand, I'm hesitant to kill it off. But that's
definitely plan B. We can point people who are in low-bandwidth situations
at Silverblue, CoreOS, and Kinoite as the preferred approach.

Yeah, I came up with one more possible way we could get more drpms with
our current setup, but need to talk to pungi maintainers and see if it's
doable. :) After that, it's either split things out or drop drpms I
think.

To be honest, I don't understand why drpms are related to Pungi at all.

Deltas are optional, if they're not available, a normal RPM is used.
They can be processed asynchronously (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and injected in repos once they're ready.

Please note that we're talking about 74 drpms in F33.x86_64 updates repo:
http://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/linux/fedora/linux/updates/33/Everything/x86_64/drpms/

Sometimes I'm wondering if it's worth it and if Fedora shouldn't move away from drpms.