Re: Fedora 34 Change: DNF/RPM Copy on Write enablement for all variants (System-Wide Change)

Dne 24. 12. 20 v 22:54 Matthew Almond via devel napsal(a):
Depends on how it got there, and what you asked for. Here's some
examples:

1. cp foo.rpm /var/cache/dnf/<repo>/Packages/ && dnf install foo
    ...will fail the librepo full file check, and it'll be re-
    downloaded.
2. dnf install /root/foo.rpm || rpm -i /root/foo.rpm
    (not actually tested) will likely fail with CPIO/payload error

Note that tools like rpm2cpio and rpm2archive will also fail on
transcoded rpms. I have an open task to make the dnf plugin not
transcode with 'yumdownloader' or 'dnf download' (plugin) as those are
reasonable command to run. I will look at making error messages better
and/or making some of these use cases work.

This concerns us (speaking for RPM and DNF people) a little bit.
If the transcoded RPM cannot be used as a regular RPM, it probably should have a different identity, for example a different suffix than .rpm. RPM and DNF are designed for generic use cases. I see these transcoded packages as a "cache" tailored for btrfs based systems only. It would be probably good to draw a border between them.

If I understand it correctly, the transcoding happens on each host. Have you considered transcoding all RPMs in a repo on server instead? Or would that be inefficient and increase network traffic too much?