Re: Fedora 34 Change: GitRepos-master-to-main (Self-Contained Change)

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:41:44PM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 12:03:17PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 11:13:19AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think you can make branches completely descripive by themselves,
> > > unless possibly you make them really long.
> > >
> > > flatpak_branch_where_stable_flatpaks_are_made_from
> >
> > That it is about flatpaks is already described in the namespace, that it
> > is a branch is clear from git. This only leaves "stable" as the one
> > information in the long name that would be missing.
>
> Sure, but 'stable' doesn't convey: These are flatpacks built against the
> platform we deem as stable and distributed to all the stable fedora
> releases. :) You just can't contain all the information about a branch
> in it's name. (IMHO).

Yes, it cannot encode everything but it can at least help. Is there any
documentation about the flatpak work in Fedora? The wiki as all the
other information that I find on Google with "flatpak Fedora" only focus
on how to use them, for example https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flatpak
I think it is safe to assume that anyone getting involved to this will
at some point learn what is "stable" in the "stable" branch. Then it
will be easier to remember than "main" if "main" means something else in
Fedora RPM packaging.

> > > rawhide_its_the_branch_for_the_development_version_of_fedora_called_rawhide
> >
> > It is fair to assume that someone who needs to use this already knows
> > what rawhide is. Otherwise they did not have any use for the branch,
> > even if it is called "main", so this long explanation does not make
> > sense, there.
>
> Well, a new packager may well assume rawhide is main if they are used to
> main being the main development branch...

Might be. But if they checkout the repo and get a "rawhide" branch, they
should quickly realize that "rawhide" is the branch for "rawhide"
instead of looking for a main branch for rawhide.

> > > I suppose it's ok to make 'rawhide' a symref to main, or 'stable' in the
> > > flatpak case...
> >
> > "main" as a symref might help people that are used to using main.
> > Assuming that the symrefs are not visible, it makes more sense to use
> > the descriptive names for the branches such as rawhide/stable. Then they
>
> Your message seems to have gotten cut off here? :(
>
> symrefs appear just like any other ref... so adding one does mean that
> there's now more choices, just 2 of them are exactly the same.

Uh, I guess undo killed this... I mean to also write that then the
"rawhide" branch would also appear as such in the shell prompt.

Thanks
Till