Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

On 12/9/20 5:07 AM, Jaroslav Prokop wrote:
Instead I would like LTS system that I comfortable with, which is from the RHEL ecosystem.
If I understood the announcement, it would be a kind of CentOS streams is rolling release or a release with short
release interval.

The release announcement was confusing, in that it used "rolling release" to describe something that doesn't resemble the common definition of that term.

CentOS Stream isn't a rolling release.  It will have distinct major releases.  It just won't have point releases within those cycles.  CentOS Stream 8 will just be CentOS Stream 8 for 5 years, and never CentOS Stream 8.1, etc.

It's also not going to have short release intervals.  It will be released every three years, and maintained for five years.

CentOS Stream has all of the aspects of an "LTS" release, but you will not hear Red Hat use that term with respect to CentOS Stream, because "support" is the product that Red Hat sells, and there isn't any for CentOS Stream.  If you're looking for an rpm-based distribution that's self-supported and maintained for longer than a Fedora release, then CentOS Stream might be a really good option.