Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

One more aspect I missed in my previous reply:

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> CentOS Stream […] [i]s also not going to have short release intervals. It
> will be released every three years, and maintained for five years.

That is still only half of the 10 years that were originally announced for
CentOS 8. And it will actually be even shorter for CentOS Stream 8 because
it was released late:
https://twitter.com/carlwgeorge/status/1337825178705915906
"2019-09-24 to 2024-05-31 (4 years, 8 months)"

The EOL date is even no later (actually, even 1 month earlier!) than for
CentOS 7, from which everyone was getting told to move away, to the very
CentOS 8 that is now getting discontinued early.

> CentOS Stream has all of the aspects of an "LTS" release

Compared to Fedora, definitely. (Fedora is nowhere near LTS, so it is
trivial to have longer-term support than Fedora.) Compared to other LTS
distros (e.g., Ubuntu LTS), yes, it's about par. But compared to RHEL, it's
only half the support timeframe (not even counting the ELS option that costs
extra, only the standard EOL).

        Kevin Kofler