Re: Working recovery with locked root user (rescue.service)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, at 5:56 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> I personally am gravitating toward the idea of not updating the
> currently running OS (sometimes called transactional system updates)
> where if we had a way to test the out-of-band updated OS, like in a
> container or VM,

We've been doing that for over 3 years now in rpm-ostree:
https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/pull/892

Yeah there's obviously *more* we could do than run just /bin/true, including running systemd-in-container but that escalates quickly in scope.

(I was going to write more here about how the real problem composes should be tested/promoted but we're already doing that in FCOS by entangling our build and test system, and we can take up the discussion of the relationship between that and traditional Fedora in the edition discussions)