Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> The release announcement was confusing, in that it used "rolling
> release" to describe something that doesn't resemble the common
> definition of that term.
>
> CentOS Stream isn't a rolling release.  It will have distinct major
> releases.  It just won't have point releases within those cycles.
> CentOS Stream 8 will just be CentOS Stream 8 for 5 years, and never
> CentOS Stream 8.1, etc.

It is still a form of a rolling release though, just one with branches. I
think it was actually clear to most of the readers that CentOS Stream is not
Rawhide directly (because then it would be Rawhide, not CentOS Stream), but
that CentOS Stream 8 is the RHEL 8 branch that was branched from Rawhide at
some point early in RHEL 8 development and that of course no longer tracks
Rawhide, but only gets what is intended to land in RHEL 8 at some point. (At
least to me, this was always clear.)

But even though each CentOS Stream "release" is a stable branch of Rawhide,
it still in many ways behaves like Rawhide or another rolling release rather
than like a release. Here in Fedora, we are used to getting lots of updates
to packages, so we may be fine with such a rolling branch (though from the
description, I would expect CentOS Stream to be more like Fedora updates-
testing than like Fedora stable updates, or is there already strict RHEL QA
before something reaches even CentOS Stream?), but many current CentOS users
have chosen CentOS (rather than Fedora or even a true rolling-release
distribution such as Arch) exactly because it does NOT work like that.

        Kevin Kofler