Re: End of CentOS Linux: What about Fedora?

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:21:02AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> It is still a form of a rolling release though, just one with branches. I
> think it was actually clear to most of the readers that CentOS Stream is not
> Rawhide directly (because then it would be Rawhide, not CentOS Stream), but
> that CentOS Stream 8 is the RHEL 8 branch that was branched from Rawhide at
> some point early in RHEL 8 development and that of course no longer tracks
> Rawhide, but only gets what is intended to land in RHEL 8 at some point. (At
> least to me, this was always clear.)

I'm glad to hear it, because it definitely was not clear to many, and I was
starting to feel like "many" might be "everyone". :)

> But even though each CentOS Stream "release" is a stable branch of
> Rawhide, it still in many ways behaves like Rawhide or another rolling
> release rather than like a release. Here in Fedora, we are used to getting
> lots of updates to packages, so we may be fine with such a rolling branch
> (though from the description, I would expect CentOS Stream to be more like
> Fedora updates- testing than like Fedora stable updates, or is there
> already strict RHEL QA before something reaches even CentOS Stream?), but

There is already RHEL QA before it reaches Stream. I can't honestly speak to
how strict it is, and of course people's standards for that will vary.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>