Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

Hi,

What I can do with my software `gsequencer` all on top of ALSA.

* save or open Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer XML files with XPath support
* add or remove audio engines with adjustable audio channels and pads
* link channels with property dialog
* output panel, mixer, drum and matrix sequencer, soft synth and audio
file player
* piano roll with basic notation editing supporting copy & paste
* adjustable BPM
* LADSPA, DSSI and Lv2 support
* export to WAV, FLAC, OGG, MP3, MP4, MKV and WEBM
* multiple sinks/sources like JACK, ALSA, OSSv4, Pulseaudio, WASAPI
and Core-Audio
* automation editor with automation control and hide them to bypass
* waveform editor with one track per audio channel
* MIDI instrument playback
* Standard MIDI File import/export
* envelope editor per step sequencer or instrument
* OSC content format support and listening server using IPv4/IPv6 over UDP/TCP
* AGS-OSC-OVER-XMLRPC with libsoup-2.4 builtin XML login module for
basic HTTP authentication
* tic based system default max sync-rate upto 1000 Hz

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 8:16 PM Reindl Harald (privat) <harry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 24.11.20 um 20:06 schrieb Joël Krähemann:
> >> That being said, I have spoken to a few audio engineers, and basically
> >> none of them use ALSA directly. They can't because ALSA doesn't
> >> support mixing properly, among other things. Most of them use JACK or
> >> PulseAudio, depending on their requirements. PipeWire is intended to
> >> simplify the pro audio case while bringing those benefits to casual
> >> audiophiles who use PulseAudio.
> >
> > I really doubt that you listen to youtube while creating music
>
> who is talking about YouTube?

This was just an example if you want to mix something while doing
audio production.

> > What do you want to mix?
>
> just hear different audio-sources at the same time?

In `gsequencer` you can even configure multiple sound cards for
playback or capture. It actually works quite well.

> > Might be for some exotic JACK setup
>
> what is exotic in the simple fact that one has running sound from
> different sources no matter jackaudio or not?

Again, I am talking about producing things like songs or a screencast.

> the problem with pure alsa is that typically *one* software claims the
> audio device and that's it while in many workloads you just have running
> more than one sioruce no matter if they are all muted except one or
> really play at the same time

You basically ignore my arguments on latency.

Stop alienating me and mixing unrelated things ...

This is your very own sight of things, you should broaden your
spectrum.

Further, you can mix it all in GSequencer in any way you want to. Like
bundling different JACK sources.

The low latency MIDI experience will burst your experience on top of
ALSA.

cheers,
Joël