Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:19 AM Joël Krähemann <jkraehemann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For short, NO! I want to be able to shutdown pipewire in order to get instant
> ALSA access.
>
> This was a real pain until pulseaudio recognized what they need to do:
>
> systemctl --user stop pulseaudio
> systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket
> killall pulseaudio
>
> If you want real low latency you won't do any additional layer on top of
> ALSA.
>
> Further, my application provides some functional integration tests.
>
> http://nongnu.org/gsequencer
>
> just run:
>
> ./configure --enable-run-functional-tests
> make
> make check
>
> Alternatively you can run against installed libraries:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-run-functional-tests
> make
> make ags-integration-functional-test
>
> Or to run in parallel using xvfb-run:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-run-functional-tests
> make
> make ags-parallel-integration-functional-test
>
> Didn't look at pipewire, yet. Finally, please consider to shutdown the
> process completely as desired.

We already have to have PipeWire running in GNOME and Plasma for
Wayland sessions, so we can't completely shut it off. However, the
pipewire-pulseaudio package provides a separate set of PulseAudio
services with the same unit names as the ones provided by the
pulseaudio package. Shutting those down would have the same effect for
you.

That being said, I have spoken to a few audio engineers, and basically
none of them use ALSA directly. They can't because ALSA doesn't
support mixing properly, among other things. Most of them use JACK or
PulseAudio, depending on their requirements. PipeWire is intended to
simplify the pro audio case while bringing those benefits to casual
audiophiles who use PulseAudio.