Re: Fedora 34 Change: Route all Audio to PipeWire (System-Wide Change)

Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 00:24 +0100, Dan Čermák wrote:
>> Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> Now, this does not mean that we shouldn't test audio in Fedora's openQA
>> (we don't atm), as that is still a valuable regression test. But we
>> won't be able to cover a lot of the more interesting use cases where I
>> would expect [2] that most of current the bugs are. Those will only get
>> found by running this on real world hardware by folks that have their
>> working setups.
>
> Yeah, I looked into it before and this is basically why I didn't bother
> implementing it; it doesn't buy us much more than we're getting
> naturally from human testing anyway.

Well, except that a human needn't lift a finger anymore to check if
there's actually sound coming out of vlc/mpv/firefox/etc. ;-).

Now checking whether that's actually the sound that you expect or
whether it has the correct volume is an entirely different story of
course and I'm afraid that's something where we'll have to rely on
humans or $shinyMlAiSolutionThatSolvesAllOurProblems.

Cheers,

Dan