Re: splitting out systemd-networkd, systemd-standalone-{sysusers,tmpfiles} subpackages in F33+

On 10/1/20 8:20 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> "All Fedora variants, both with ostree and without..." maybe? OSTree-based
>>> variants are also "regular Fedora".
>>>

>> I would only even remotely consider agreeing with that premise for
>> Silverblue. Neither Fedora CoreOS nor Fedora IoT qualify for that, in
>> my view, since they completely sidestep the normal release engineering
>
> IoT is *NOT* side stepping the normal release engineering process,
> we're using exactly the same process, it just runs independently, just
> cloud cloud and container images do nightlies post release.

Fedora CoreOS does differ here. We use a build pipeline that runs inside of
Jenkins on top of OpenShift. All it's doing in the background is running
coreos-assembler, which anyone can easily do on their laptop. One of the
guiding principles when we first started was we wanted it to be dead simple
for anyone to develop and build FCOS locally so we pursued this path.

https://github.com/coreos/coreos-assembler

>> process, don't use the same repositories, and have the power to
>> include and exclude packages from the total available package set at
>> their leisure.
>
> Fedora IoT uses the same repositories, we don't have seprate, we do
> have an overrides repo so we can get fixes quicker.

Same for Fedora CoreOS. We use the exact same RPMs built by release engineering
and we pull from the same repositories to seed our pipelines but we do have a
different cadence for releases (i.e. bake time) and the flexibility to pin
or fast-track packages based on needs.