Re: splitting out systemd-networkd, systemd-standalone-{sysusers,tmpfiles} subpackages in F33+

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:42 PM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/30/20 2:19 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 2:00 pm, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> And what about places where NetworkManager isn't used?  (Just because
> >> it's the default, doesn't mean that it's used everywhere.)
> >
> > NetworkManager is used everywhere by default. If you want to disable it,
> > you have to do manual work to do that. If you do manual work to disable
> > NetworkManager, you can also do manual work to disable systemd-resolved.
>
> Indeed, but I was responding to this:
>
> On 9/30/20 1:35 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
>  > Please, no more package splitting. And NetworkManager is used across
>  > all variants of Fedora, so resolved should be installed in all places
>  > where NetworkManager is used.
>
> Which (to my reading) says that because NetworkManager is the *default*
> everywhere (even though it can be uninstalled), systemd-resolved should
> be *installed* everywhere (and should not be uninstallable).  I don't
> follow that logic.

There are not a ton of advantages for splitting it, since it's only a
couple of binaries averaging 2MB with a few unit files. Given that we
require it for default NetworkManager configurations now, there's not
a lot of value in making that complicated. Splitting has a cost too,
in the form of extra metadata, upgrade paths, etc.

Moreover, *all* Fedora variants use NetworkManager. *ALL* OSTree
variants, as shipped today, *MUST* use NetworkManager.
NetworkManager's configuration will use resolved as a local resolver.
Anything baked into an OSTree cannot be removed anyway.

And like it or not, all our legacy network configuration mechanisms
are deprecated and *will be removed eventually*.

Literally the only reason networkd was split out was because Fedora
CoreOS was chainsawing it out at image build time and making it
impossible for people to use it. To be frank, I do not want more
permutations this low in the stack. It makes life incredibly difficult
for figuring out working network setups.

My reply was aimed at Peter saying he'd like to not ship resolved, and
I'm saying that we should *not* do that, because it makes things even
harder and more complicated.