Re: splitting out systemd-networkd, systemd-standalone-{sysusers,tmpfiles} subpackages in F33+

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 01:45:13PM -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> anyone else more confused?
>
> On 9/30/20 1:26 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > And like it or not, all our legacy network configuration mechanisms
> > are deprecated and*will be removed eventually*.
>
> is plain-vanilla systemd-networkd -- no NM wrapper around it, no (in)direct dependency on systemd-resolved -- considered 'legacy'?

NM does not wrap systemd-networkd. Both remain fully independent ways
to configure networking. The future of systemd-networkd is unclear: it
is being developed upstream, but is largely unused in Fedora. It does
work well in certain scenarios, as you know. I don't think there's any
plan to change this.

> > Moreover, *all* Fedora variants use NetworkManager. *ALL* OSTree
>  variants, as shipped today, *MUST* use NetworkManager.
>
> how 'bout I turn the question around ...
>
> what specific steps must be done POST- F32->F32 upgrade to
>
> 	(1) not use NetworkManager
> 	(2) not use systemd-resolved
>
> 	(3) return/preserve local configs for systemd-networkd & 'enterprise' (own resolver) DNS configs?

I don't think there's anything special needed for (1) and (3). For (2),
please create a preset to disable systemd-resolved. E.g.:
  echo 'disable systemd-resolved.service' >/etc/systemd/system-preset/20-resolved.preset

This will start being enough with the next systemd build though. I just pushed a change
to not create the symlink if resolved is disabled:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/systemd/c/d3d43af8adf70974f5e52d31df0b46935ff2ded2?branch=f33.

Zbyszek