Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding ELN and RHEL)

Dne 11. 09. 20 v 8:43 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 09:59:05PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> For Maven packaging the appeal of Modularity is clearly the privatization of
>> the dependency tree, which obviously undercuts the ecosystem of packages.
>>
> You are right that bundling is one of the features of Modularity and that this
> freedom undermines an integration effort on the Fedora distribution level.
>
> But bundling is not the only appeal for Maven maintainers. If I can speek for
> Mikolaj, then another appeal is sharing a module among multiple Fedora
> releases. Because byte-compiled Java code is portable, it is possible to build
> a module on Fedora 31 and have the same module build available on Fedora 34.
> This saves the module maintainers from the burden of rebuilding the Java
> packages for each Fedora and Modularity is the first place that actuallty can
> leverage this Java feature.

While the idea of sharing between Fedora is nice, it won't work in
practice. There is more then just "byte-compiled Java code is portable".
This allows you to ship certain set of the packages, but it won't allow
you to easily update any single package. You have always consider the
API changes, dependency changes and if the update of the package, which
you would do on Rawhide and would be perfectly fine, won't break other
parts of F31 ecosystem. The choice is not any easier.

If on the other hand the F31 was left in the state when it was branched
+ applying fixes, the Rawhide would be free to update the packages.

Not mentioning that keeping the one set of packages is possibly against
the idea of Fedora update policy [1].

Vít

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/