Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding ELN and RHEL)

Hi all,

I'm writing as the Red Hat engineering manager responsible for Maven and
Ant in RHEL, and on behalf of Mikolaj Izdebski and Marian Koncek from my
team.  I want to give a broad response to some of the points here:

1.  The team has two missions in Fedora:

a) We deliver, maintain and support Ant and Maven in Fedora. Our aim is
to provide developers with the most popular Java build systems which are
reviewed, tested, and updated through the release lifecycle.

b) We design, develop and document tooling that enables anyone to
package Java software with a simple, efficient and scalable process. We
are also active members of Java SIG, collaborating on complex changes
and guiding new contributors.

2.  We are committed to maintaining the Ant and Maven modules in
Fedora.  We have always expected to make them available as default
streams and in the buildroot so they can be available and consumed by
non-modular packages, but we completely respect the decisions of FESCo
to disallow default streams and of other contributors to adopt and
maintain the non-modular packages.  We are not going to promise to
commit time and resources to maintain the non-modular packages.

3.  Our efforts are currently directed mainly at minimization of the
dependency tree which leads to maven and ant, automating the process of
bootstrapping maven and updating related components, so that new
versions can be imported and built reproducibly and with consistent
quality.

4.  The benefit we want to preserve from modules is to maintain packages
with varying expectation of quality, specifically separating the
build-time-only vs runtime dependencies.  e.g. in that case that a web
server like Eclipse Jetty is required as a dep for testing another
component during the build, we want to be able to use and build that
component, without being indefinitely on the hook for security errata.
(The build dependency tree is particularly complex for Maven and
involves many examples of packages with frequent and high severity
vulnerabilies)

Regards, Joe