Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding ELN and RHEL)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 10:11 AM Aleksandar Kurtakov
<akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Alexander Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Joe Orton <jorton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm writing as the Red Hat engineering manager responsible for Maven and
>> > Ant in RHEL, and on behalf of Mikolaj Izdebski and Marian Koncek from my
>> > team.  I want to give a broad response to some of the points here:
>> >
>> > 1.  The team has two missions in Fedora:
>> >
>> > a) We deliver, maintain and support Ant and Maven in Fedora. Our aim is
>> > to provide developers with the most popular Java build systems which are
>> > reviewed, tested, and updated through the release lifecycle.
>> >
>> > b) We design, develop and document tooling that enables anyone to
>> > package Java software with a simple, efficient and scalable process. We
>> > are also active members of Java SIG, collaborating on complex changes
>> > and guiding new contributors.
>> >
>> > 2.  We are committed to maintaining the Ant and Maven modules in
>> > Fedora.  We have always expected to make them available as default
>> > streams and in the buildroot so they can be available and consumed by
>> > non-modular packages, but we completely respect the decisions of FESCo
>> > to disallow default streams and of other contributors to adopt and
>> > maintain the non-modular packages.  We are not going to promise to
>> > commit time and resources to maintain the non-modular packages.
>>
>> As a reminder (as in my RHEL devel-list reply): there are no default
>> module streams in Fedora. There is also no Ursa Major/Prime, so were
>> they to exist, there would still be no way for non-modular packages to
>> use them.
>>
>> This makes the artifacts produced here useful only to other modules.
>> Non-modular packages maintained by other Red Hatters, like Eclipse and
>> Dogtag PKI cannot use these artifacts. Both of these stacks have tried
>> to modularize in Fedora but ultimately remained non-modular.
>

> FWIW, I'm eagerly looking to stop packaging Eclipse as RPM entirely. Flatpak is way better suited for our use case and in addition gives us access to a way bigger install base. And the involvement on Java packaging in Fedora is so low that we literally have to maintain whole other stacks including jetty, lucene and etc. - not feasible work in any way.

Mat Booth (also from the Eclipse team!) still actively helps out with
this packaging as RPMs and we thank him for his efforts while they
last. :-)

But Flatpak isn't suitable for everyone--it isn't great for servers
like Dogtag and IdM for instance. So we still need RPM packaging
around for that.

Also, does that mean Eclipse won't be in RHEL-9? So far it looks like
it is not rebuilt for ELN so it seems likely it won't be.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=183

- Alex