Re: The Future of the Java Stack (also regarding ELN and RHEL)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Alexander Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Joe,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Joe Orton <jorton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm writing as the Red Hat engineering manager responsible for Maven and
> Ant in RHEL, and on behalf of Mikolaj Izdebski and Marian Koncek from my
> team.  I want to give a broad response to some of the points here:
>
> 1.  The team has two missions in Fedora:
>
> a) We deliver, maintain and support Ant and Maven in Fedora. Our aim is
> to provide developers with the most popular Java build systems which are
> reviewed, tested, and updated through the release lifecycle.
>
> b) We design, develop and document tooling that enables anyone to
> package Java software with a simple, efficient and scalable process. We
> are also active members of Java SIG, collaborating on complex changes
> and guiding new contributors.
>
> 2.  We are committed to maintaining the Ant and Maven modules in
> Fedora.  We have always expected to make them available as default
> streams and in the buildroot so they can be available and consumed by
> non-modular packages, but we completely respect the decisions of FESCo
> to disallow default streams and of other contributors to adopt and
> maintain the non-modular packages.  We are not going to promise to
> commit time and resources to maintain the non-modular packages.

As a reminder (as in my RHEL devel-list reply): there are no default
module streams in Fedora. There is also no Ursa Major/Prime, so were
they to exist, there would still be no way for non-modular packages to
use them.

This makes the artifacts produced here useful only to other modules.
Non-modular packages maintained by other Red Hatters, like Eclipse and
Dogtag PKI cannot use these artifacts. Both of these stacks have tried
to modularize in Fedora but ultimately remained non-modular.

FWIW, I'm eagerly looking to stop packaging Eclipse as RPM entirely. Flatpak is way better suited for our use case and in addition gives us access to a way bigger install base. And the involvement on Java packaging in Fedora is so low that we literally have to maintain whole other stacks including jetty, lucene and etc. - not feasible work in any way.

> 3.  Our efforts are currently directed mainly at minimization of the
> dependency tree which leads to maven and ant, automating the process of
> bootstrapping maven and updating related components, so that new
> versions can be imported and built reproducibly and with consistent
> quality.
>
> 4.  The benefit we want to preserve from modules is to maintain packages
> with varying expectation of quality, specifically separating the
> build-time-only vs runtime dependencies.  e.g. in that case that a web
> server like Eclipse Jetty is required as a dep for testing another
> component during the build, we want to be able to use and build that
> component, without being indefinitely on the hook for security errata.
> (The build dependency tree is particularly complex for Maven and
> involves many examples of packages with frequent and high severity
> vulnerabilies)
>
> Regards, Joe

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team