Re: What is the real value of Release and %changelog metadata?

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM kevin <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:57:34PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:54 PM Matthew Miller
> > <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > A dnf plugin could be made which shows metadata like this from
> > > src.fedoraproject.org or bodhi or some other source.
> > >

> > That's not helpful beyond Fedora, though. When it's forked into RHEL
> > or CentOS, that changelog history from Fedora is preserved today. RHEL
> > forks Fedora at the git level, so generated changelogs from Git will
> > still work, and since CentOS gets SRPM imports into its Dist-Git,
> > they'll be flattened into %changelog sections as appropriate. But if
> > we rely on a web service to get changelogs, we screw over that
> > particular transition path.
>
> Sure, but how often is that changelog:
>
> "Updated to 10.0.1"
>
> or
>
> "Fixed typo"
>
> I pretty much stopped reading changelogs a while back.
> Looking at the upstream NEWS or announcement is better for releases, and
> just looking at the git commits is better for isolating some change in
> packaging.

I do the opposite. I almost never read upstream news or changelog
files. They just don't matter in most cases when I'm trying to figure
out problems. Those timelines in the packaging changelogs are a good
record of how the package itself has evolved, and sure, most of the
time it's just updating to a new version, but those checkpoints are
useful too.

And in the Fedora -> RHEL -> CentOS case, we do not have those
relationships with Git commits, so the changelog entries are the only
way to figure out packaging deltas and such.