Re: What is the real value of Release and %changelog metadata?

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 03:08:50PM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> > Such %changelog has a very similar level of quality as all the generated
> > approaches, and we don't have to complicate our lives (or buildsystem).
> > Alternatively, we can teach build systems to upload the git-log file
> > somewhere, or even extremely drop the changelog entirely (and only
> > reference the upstream changelog in %doc payload).
>
> Yeah, I like automatically including the git changelog as %doc at somewhere
> like `/usr/share/doc/rpm-changelogs/$PACKAGENAME`. As a sysadmin in the
> past, I've found it handy to be able to reference this directly on the
> system.

That makes it extra steps to see changelogs on a not-installed package.
I do sometimes do "rpm -q --changelog -p foo.rpm" or "dnf changelog foo"
(for example, to see what is changed since my installed version).
Converting to an installed file means I would have to extract the RPM
(possibly after manually downloading) and find it under a different
directory for every RPM - much less convenient.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>