Re: Please untag dotnet3.1-3.1.106-1.fc33

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 09:23:35AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-08-13 at 11:13 -0400, Omair Majid wrote:
> > Jeff Law <law@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I can't help with the untagging, but I'm here if there's anything
> > > going wrong with the system tools that is ultimately affecting dotnet.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Just for context:
> >
> > .NET Core uses a bundled (and modified) copy of libunwind for unwinding
> > the stack. This version doesn't work on aarch64 when built with one of
> > the new CFLAGS introduced in Fedora 33/34: -mbranch-protection=standard.
> >
> > The upstream version of libunwind (the Fedora libunwind package) is also
> > broken (in a completely different way) for aarch64 from a .NET Core
> > point of view too.
> >
> > For now, my "fix" is to remove `-mbranch-protection=standard` from
> > CFLAGS on aarch64 to get things working.
> That may work in the immediate term, but I think we'll need a better fix in the
> long term -- I believe the plan is to have the BTI/PAC stuff enabled by default
> for RHEL 9.  We can bug ARM to get upstream libunwind fixed if that would help
> (we meet with them Monday -- you'd be welcome to join to provide technical
> context to the libunwind issue).

FYI for the list:

We talked about this on irc. We cannot untag that package as it's long
since been shipped out. However, a side tag can be used to build against
the old version:

* create side tag
* tag old version into it
* build new version against old working version.
* merge side tag

This should allow everything to build and not disrupt all the people who
have the current version already installed, etc.

kevin