Re: What is the real value of Release and %changelog metadata?

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 03:08:50PM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:

> Release tag problem/proposal
> ============================
>
> Let's stop requiring Release bumps for each build.  And let's put an
> additional tag into Release, like proposed in [4]:
>
>     "Release: 1%{?dist}%{?buildtag}"
>
> ... and let the build-system to put there an artificial (but increasing for
> subsequent build IDs) value.
>
> Or alternatively, teach the build-system to enhance
> %dist in a similar fashion, as suggested in [5].

With this we will loose the ability to map RPM version information to a
SPEC file without querying Koji for the dist-git commit. Currently,
looking at dist-git allows to quickly check if there is a release there
than on a system. Not sure how useful it is but sometimes when I looked
into FTBFS bugs it was helpful to see that the last build did not match
dist-git which indicated that the SRPM creation failed in koji. Then it
looks like the package was never tried to be built. With those changes
it seems that dist-git will look untouched after a mass-rebuild.

Also, what about other special cases when using 0.1 for the release to
indicate pre-releases or git IDs for snapshots. How would  that look
like with your proposal?

Thanks
Till