Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 5:15 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday, July 11, 2020 11:43:29 AM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> > It's known from the outset that earlyoom is temporary. And as the
> > resource control picture more fully develops on the desktop, both
> > GNOME and KDE, that we have an eye on a PSI based approach. It's a
> > long arc with multiple components and incremental changes. The pro and
> > con to earlyoom is the same: it's simple.
>
> How about, instead of a half-baked solution that you're *plan* to get rid of
> soon, you keep the playtesting to GNOME Spin, and don't hurt the KDE Spin in
> the process, as this Change will do?

There's a difference between half-baked and a roadmap of incremental
improvement. This Change is an example of the latter. If anything,
your fanciful and speculative conjecture has done only harm for your
credibility. You continue to attack and lambast every change proposed
for the past few cycles, and you provide no useful alternatives.

Additionally, you continue to insult our intelligence by assuming we
haven't done our homework and attack the Workstation working group for
doing a lot of legwork to try to solve very real problems that users
see.

Finally, as a member of the KDE SIG (and many other teams, including
the Workstation and Server working groups), I have been witness to the
literal months of research and deliberations on how to solve problems
that affect the Linux desktop regardless of desktop environment. When
I replaced Rex as the Workstation WG KDE representative due to his
lack of time to maintain the position, I brought my perspective to the
team to help come up with solutions that can be implemented
Fedora-wide. Moreover, as a "plumbing layer" guy, I bring to the table
a unique perspective understanding most (if not all) layers of the
Linux system stack, which has helped us evolve our strategy of
improving the desktop experience.

With respect to EarlyOOM, I *wanted* to introduce this to all desktop
variants at the same time last cycle, but the amount of research and
effort we spent to figure out what we should even *do* meant that
there was no time to do any coordination work last cycle to bring this
everywhere. The evidence from user reports and reviews has been clear:
Fedora 32 Workstation Edition had a phenomenal user experience
improvement in terms of desktop responsiveness over its predecessors
as well as many of its counterparts that released at the same time by
our fellow Linux distribution communities. Much of the work we're
doing for Fedora 33 and beyond is a continuation of that effort.

My personal mission is to bring all the improvements we've done to the
Linux desktop experience in Fedora Workstation to at least Fedora KDE,
if not all Fedora desktop variants. And where it makes sense, I will
attempt to bring these improvements to *all* Fedora variants.