Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:32 AM Sergio Belkin <sebelk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> My suggestion is to stop the 'complaining for the sake of complaining'
>> phase of the feature. And move to the "when I do X Y Z, this other app
>> is killed off - how to tweak this?" And then does the tweak represent
>> covering an edge case? Or is it good enough to be the new default?
>>

>  Nice, I'm all in favour of a proactive approach that makes the Linux desktop more responsive.
> AFAIK earlyoom uses free physical memory to send TERM/KILL signals. My only question is if measuring memory pressure is a better indication.
> If nohang-desktop uses PSI, isn't it a more proper solution?

In theory yes. In practice, it's harder. But this is an active area of
research and development.

Alexey can better speak about the details of the difference between
earlyoom and nohang. My suggestion is if you're more than casually
interested in this subject, you can "graduate" from earlyoom to nohang
right now. The gotcha is that if you have to tweak for your workload,
you'll see there are many more knobs in nohang, much more jargon. But
if you go through that process, it'll probably be a more proper
solution. And also, Alexey was instrumental in encouraging the use of
earlyoom for the reason that a PSI approach is more complicated.
Should edge cases emerge, it's easy to let folks know what settings to
change in earlyoom, and push updated settings.

It's known from the outset that earlyoom is temporary. And as the
resource control picture more fully develops on the desktop, both
GNOME and KDE, that we have an eye on a PSI based approach. It's a
long arc with multiple components and incremental changes. The pro and
con to earlyoom is the same: it's simple.

--
Chris Murphy