Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:01 AM David Kaufmann <astra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately I think this arguing is moot, as the issue seems to have
> been decided already anyway. I only remember one change "proposal" to
> actually being pulled back in the last year, and I'm really disappointed
> about having fake discussions on devel@ whilst the decision has already
> been made.

It is incorrect to assume this change is a done deal. Community
feedback is critical to the Changes process (and is one of the key
factors behind why we replaced the Features process).

To wit, five change proposals were rejected by FESCo for Fedora 32 alone:

1. https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2323#comment-624955
2. https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2291#comment-615815
3. https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2268#comment-611948
4. https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2241#comment-609153
5. https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2198#comment-587826

In addition, change proposals can be withdrawn by the owner before
being submitted to FESCo, as happened last week:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/VWY3HAH5GJOOBCYLB5SSFTYYJRPBQTUB/

Changes are often updated based on community feedback (which is why we
recently added a section to the proposal explicitly to record some of
that feedback). One example is the proposal to improve the counting in
DNF. The original[1] received a lot of feedback about the privacy
implications, so it was withdrawn and reworked to take that feedback
into account[2].

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Changes/DNF_UUID&oldid=531449
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DNF_Better_Counting

--