Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Thu, 2020-06-25 at 22:30 -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:

> Well, I strongy disagree whit this move.
> In fact on of the things that I hate of Debian/Ubuntu is the choice of nano
> and the poor version that they offer by default of vi.
> More friendly for end-users? Really?
> Please thinking so, the end-user use GUI's. Nano has no any significative
> advantage over vi and even lesser over vim. What's the wrong with vim?
> Really I don't understand.
> If one end-user wants to use a text editor, he will find kate, gedit and
> the like better options. If you don't like a modal editor, propose a better
> option not a mediocre one. For example, micro is a non-modal editor but
> more powerful that nano.
> If has no real benefit, please could you reconsider it and let the
> community give his voice?
> Thanks in advance.
> SB

This isn't about an editor someone *chooses* to use.

It's about that moment quite soon after you start using Linux, when
you're puzzling your way through something at a console, and something
you do triggers the default editor.

If you are unfortunate enough that the default editor is vi, what
happens next is you spend half an hour trying to figure out what the
*hell* is going on, followed by - depending how much you've learned
about Linux so far, and whether you're at a VT or a desktop terminal -
killing or closing the terminal from somewhere else, or just hard
rebooting the system. (I had literally exactly this experience myself,
back in the year 2000 or so.)

Nothing in vi's default view (if launched with a file, which is what
happens in this case) tells you you need to press 'insert' in order to
actually edit anything. Nothing in vi's default view tells you you have
to type the entirely cryptic sequence ":wq" to save and exit (or gives
you any clue how to exit at all). Nothing in vi's default view even
*tells you that what you're looking at is a text editor called vi*.
vi's intro page tells you a lot of this stuff, but in this scenario you
don't *see* its intro page.

nano's default view:

1. tells you you are in an app called 'GNU nano'
2. actually intuitively works as a text editor - you can move around
the file and use the backspace and delete keys and type stuff
3. provides a handy reference of key combos you can use to get help,
save the file, and exit. Yes, you have to know that ^O means "ctrl+O",
but figuring that out is a lot easier than working out how to drive vi
from scratch.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey