Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 07:04:51PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 26/06/20 13:23 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > Heres a thought that I hadn't considered before though, and it might be useful.
> > Apple at one point (and still may), shiped iphones without the itunes (or some
> > common) app on it,
> > and they did so intentionally, because they knew it was an app that people
> > wanted, and it forced them into a sort of 'training mission' in which they had
> > to use the app store on their phone to find and install the itunes app.  It gave
> > end users, after their initial disgruntledness, the skills to install new apps
> > on their phone, and explore how some of the system worked.
>
> That's not about learning useful life skills, it's about forcing them
> to visit the money-making machine.

ulterior motives asside, the goal was still to implicitly teach the end users
how to use a central tool in their environment.

> I don't think "I had to learn vi and it never did me any harm, new
> users should have to as well" is really the right approach for the
> distro.

I'm not sure how you got that out of my comment above, but it certainly wasn't
my intent.  All I was trying to say was, orthogonal to the choice of default
editor, part of the frustration here seems to be not only understanding how vi
works but how to go about changing it if it doesn't work for you (as suggested
by the large number of searches for vi help, and the relatively non-existant
number of searches for "how do I change my default editor in linux".  I was
suggesting that some sort of introductory guide during install might mitigate
that.

> Shut up and learn vi, it's for your own good. And eat your vegetables
> or you won't get dessert.
Ok, that a bit over the line.  Please don't twist my words.