Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 03:42:39PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 26/06/20 10:33 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > >
> > > Why would one file a bugzilla ticket over this?  vi, and the system
> > > default, is working as intended.  "That's just the way Linux is," say
> > > the folks having to answer "how to quit vi" for the umpteenth time.
> > >
> > Ok, perhaps bugzilla is the wrong venue, but the point stands. Are people
> > actually asking how to quit vi (or some simmilar questions) somewhere?  If I
> > google how to quit vi, I see a full 10 pages of the answer to the question
> > documented in detail (which suggests lots of people had the question at some
> > point in time), but what I don't see are stackoverflow (or other message board
> > posts) asking the question currently.
>
> For the third time:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/4XS6ZYUO4K3OY46MSJQOLBPEKCXZFAE4/
>
> Three years ago they said:
>
> "In the last year, How to exit the Vim editor has made up about .005%
> of question traffic: that is, one out of every 20,000 visits to Stack
> Overflow questions. That means during peak traffic hours on weekdays,
> there are about 80 people per hour that need help getting out of Vim."

Yes, I read that, and I'd make two observations:
1) .005% is small.  Searches tagged with git in stack overflow dwarf that
number, but we're not looking at making the use of git more self discoverable
(not that we shouldnt).  But it seems the relative impact of this change is
worth noting, both in terms of the benefit to those it would help, and to the
frustration of those it might otherwise hinder.

2) Ostensibly, those people got the answer they were looking for.  Just because
people have a question, doesn't in my mind translate to something being "hard",
it just means they had to go look something up.  I do that all the time for
things I'm just starting to work with, and it doesn't imply that I find that new
thing hard, only that I have to learn a bit about it, and once I do, I'm good.

I think the question we should be asking isn't "Is vi hard to use?" but
rather "Is our default editor something our users are having trouble learning
about?"

put another way, According to stackoverflow, there are about 26,000 questions
there tagged with vi/vim, 19,000 tagged with emacs, and only 222 questions
tagged with nano.  Nano may be more self-discoverable than vi, I'll gladly
stipulate to that, but if a user does have a question, it seems they would be
far less able to find the answer to their questions than if they were using a
more popular editor.  Not that that can't change (I would expect querys about
nano to go up if we were to switch), but if the goal is good user experience, I
would think theres an argument to be made for there being answers to common
question being readily available.

Best
Neil