Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 09:00:58AM -0400, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 08:43:19AM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > Do we have real stasitics on this (somthing in the form of bz reports or
> > comments on a list) indicating that users actually are frustrated with being
> > confronted with vi unexpectedly?
>
> Why would one file a bugzilla ticket over this?  vi, and the system
> default, is working as intended.  "That's just the way Linux is," say
> the folks having to answer "how to quit vi" for the umpteenth time.

Ok, perhaps bugzilla is the wrong venue, but the point stands. Are people
actually asking how to quit vi (or some simmilar questions) somewhere?  If I
google how to quit vi, I see a full 10 pages of the answer to the question
documented in detail (which suggests lots of people had the question at some
point in time), but what I don't see are stackoverflow (or other message board
posts) asking the question currently.  Clearly there was a time when this was a
problem (and access to all the online resources we have today wasn't available),
but now?  I'm just asking us not to make this decision by proxy.  Are there
users out there today that are complaining somewhere that vi is hard to use, and
can't either figure it out, or figure out how to use a different editor

> > I'm struggling with the notion that an individual user is sufficiently
> > skilled to use git on the command line,
>
> They actually aren't skilled on the cmdline.  At most they'll just
> cut-n-paste something they found on stack overflow.  Instead, GUI git
> frontends are the norm, generally embedded within IDEs.

This just confuses me further.  For integrated IDEs, the selection of a default
editor for terminal usage is largely irrelevant, as the IDE typically provides
an editor built in (basing this assertion on eclipse behvior, but I'd be
suprised if an ide forks a terminal just to run the git default editor)

So the user you are describing

1) Isn't skilled in command line usage
2) Chose to use the command line anyway, despite having a littany of IDE's
available
3) Was sufficiently well versed in development process to chose to use an SCM,
and to search for commands to work with it (setting asside their lack of
understanding of what they were doing)
4) But wasn't sufficiently well versed enough to go back and find out how to use
the editor that their scm choice chose to default to

I just don't see that that person really exists.

Note I'm not saying we shouldn't make this change, I'm just saying that I don't
like the idea of making it based on our assumption of what our end users are
struggling with.  If we have references to end users that legitimately have this
problem, I'd love it to see them, and that would satisfy me.

Neil