Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Summary ==
> Fedora has historically forced packages to build with GCC unless the
> upstream project for the package only supported Clang/LLVM.  This
> change proposal replaces that policy with one where compiler selection
> for Fedora follows the package's upstream preferences.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: Jeff Law
> * Email: law@xxxxxxxxxx

I am opposed to this change. Chromium and Firefox build fine with GCC. I
think that a distribution should be built with a consistent toolchain
wherever possible.

Last I checked, there were several reasons why GCC is preferred over
Clang/LLVM in Fedora. And if that should ever change (or have changed
already), then switching the systemwide default (reversing the rules, i.e.,
using GCC only for those packages that do not build with Clang) should be
envisioned. But as far as I know, that is not the case at this time,
considering runtime performance, security features, etc.

I do not see why we should allow yet another special case for Firefox, nor
why we should let random packages make their own choice of compiler and risk
running into hidden binary incompatibilities. We have a system compiler for
a reason.

        Kevin Kofler