Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 21:51 +0200, Igor Raits wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 13:36 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 16:30 -0400, Igor Raits wrote:
> > >
> > > Sadly some upstreams insist on clang just because they like it
> > > more,
> > > without any technical reason. The question that comes to my mind:
> > > Should we still try to convince upstreams to use GCC in such cases
> > > or
> > > not?
> > It happens (choosing Clang because they like it) and while we can
> > (and have)
> > engaged upstreams on this topic and I suspect we will continue to do
> > so in some
> > cases.
> >
> > But in the end I think we still have to respect the upstream
> > project's choices,
> > even if it's just because they like Clang/LLVM more than GCC.
> >

> > > Also does this mean that Clang is now fully supported compiler by
> > > full-
> > > time working people @ Red Hat in toolchains team that are also
> > > contributing to upstream? Just curious if we will be able to "fully
> > > support" people when we find bugs in the compiler.
> > Yes.  Absolutely.  Tom S & Serge G directly.  Others in a more
> > indirect capacity.
> >
> > > And also, does it mean that we will be following same pattern as
> > > with
> > > GCC to test pre-release versions in rawhide, do the mass rebuild
> > > and so
> > > on?
> > Some of that is already happening internally.  Tom's got a tester
> > which spins
> > Fedora packages with Clang/LLVM.  I'm not sure if he's trying to
> > cover the whole
> > distro, but it is running regularly (it shares a jenkins instance
> > with my
> > tester).

> > > I think this is not fully true because clang / gcc produce
> > > different
> > > binaries in terms of size / performance. So just switching compiler
> > > in
> > > some package may result in significat (hopefully not) performance
> > > gain
> > > / drop.
> > Certainly switching compilers can result in performance changes.
> > Having been
> > through this kind of disruptive change on the other side (GCC vs
> > various vendor
> > compilers through the 90s), what tends to happen is the compilers get
> > to a point
> > where they're typically +-5% of each other on the vast majority of
> > codes.  That's
> > where Clang/LLVM and GCC are today based on the data I've seen.
> >
> > > Also we probably should mention that -fstack-clash-protection is
> > > not
> > > available in clang, so in theory binaries can be less secure due to
> > > that.
> > Clang/LLVM is closing that gap rapidly.  I fully expect stack clash
> > protection to
> [...]
Where do we want this documented?  I don't mind adding verbage to the change
proposal around this, but I fear that's really not the right place and the info
will get lost.  Perhaps make it part of the packaging guidelines change if/when
we make a change?

jeff