Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

> Ben Cotton wrote:
> > == Summary ==
> > Fedora has historically forced packages to build with GCC unless
> > the
> > upstream project for the package only supported Clang/LLVM.  This
> > change proposal replaces that policy with one where compiler
> > selection
> > for Fedora follows the package's upstream preferences.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: Jeff Law
> > * Email: law@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> I am opposed to this change. Chromium and Firefox build fine with
> GCC. I
> think that a distribution should be built with a consistent toolchain
> wherever possible.
>
> Last I checked, there were several reasons why GCC is preferred over
> Clang/LLVM in Fedora. And if that should ever change (or have changed
> already), then switching the systemwide default (reversing the rules,
> i.e.,
> using GCC only for those packages that do not build with Clang)
> should be
> envisioned. But as far as I know, that is not the case at this time,
> considering runtime performance, security features, etc.

Since I was not sure if clang is supported by Red Hat Toolchain team in
the same way as GCC, I've asked this in my reply. If they are supported
in the same manner (maintainers are as well developers in upstream and
work full-time on this, development versions are being tested in
rawhide early, etc…) I do not see a reason to disallow that.

- From the security features, do you have some specifics in mind? I saw
only from our CFLAGS/LDFLAGS, only the -fstack-clash-protection is not
yet supported, but it is being worked on (already in trunk, though only
for x86).

> I do not see why we should allow yet another special case for
> Firefox, nor
> why we should let random packages make their own choice of compiler
> and risk
> running into hidden binary incompatibilities. We have a system
> compiler for
> a reason.

Well, if they are supported in the same way as GCC (in the sense as it
is not just being packaged in Fedora, but developed and properly tested
in Fedora), why not to declare that we have 2 system compilers?
Regarding hidden binary incompatibilities, those are the bugs that
needs to be fixed so I assume if maintainers of clang make commitment,
they will have to fix it because Clang will be 2nd system compiler.

>         Kevin Kofler
- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>