Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 9:02 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > One thing that I think this conversation thread *has* achieved is
> > identifying that most Fedorans don't consider a FESCo member voting in
> > favor of their own Change Proposal to be a conflict of interest. I
> > think we should probably recognize this and take that out of the
> > equation (which also has the side-effect of reducing the frequency we
> > might need to deal with such things).
>
> For the record, I *do* consider this a conflict of interest.
>
> But there are actually many more conflicts of interest that are not
> immediately recognized, even by the people concerned. Many FESCo members are
> members of some workgroup and will thus be biased in favor of changes
> submitted by that workgroup.

I don't think this necessarily is as strong conflict of interest as
you'd expect. Most folks are involved in multiple teams (WGs, SIGs,
etc.) and those "conflicts" naturally exist. I think the only *real*
conflict would be a change owner voting *for* their change. For
example, If this were such a thing to worry about, I'd be unable to
vote for any change proposal, due to the number of groups I *actually*
do work in.

> Also, FESCo members are often Red Hat
> employees.

Only way to fix that is for more non-RHers to run for FESCo. ;)

But again, I don't necessarily see them being employed by Red Hat as a
negative there. It *does* induce some bias, for sure, but in general,
this is a lot less pronounced than many folks would expect. And I'm
speaking as someone who tends to run into them more often than not. ;)

Today, there are a mix of Red Hat and non-Red Hat folks, and it seems
to work out fine. And even Red Hatters have pushed back against other
Red Hat-driven changes. So I think this fear is mostly unfounded.