Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Thu, 14 May 2020 06:33:47 -0500, you wrote:

>* Game developers largely refuse to support Linux, and the some of the
>few that have have or are currently pulling support citing
>fragmentation(support) issues.

Game developers refuse to support Linux because there is no userbase -
even Steam, who moved to Linux for strategic rather than financial
reasons, consistently reports a neglible installed base of Linux
gamers.

The fragmentation may not help, but it isn't the driving force (if
Linux gaming was a $10billion a year business they would find a way to
deal with the issues).

>* Hardware support for AMD GPUs is all over the place and even if
>technically supported, can be too buggy to use. This is largely because
>kernel/mesa versions are all over the place.

Surprise, writing drivers and the associated code for modern GPU's is
hard - even for the in house development teams providing binary only
drivers, as anyone who follows GPU issues on Windows is aware.

>* You often need to install third-party repos to get up-to-date software
>since packages are way too slow, or the distros just choose to use very
>old software(Debian).

Part of choosing a distro is choosing new vs well tested.

Anyone choosing the released versions of Debian is doing so on the
basis they want well tested releases and new versions aren't a
priority.

If you want new version, you choose a different distro.

>* Bugs fixed in newer versions of Gnome shell aren't backported to older
>versions. It looks like they have extended support, but I doubt it's for
>the same amount of time Ubuntu supports an LTS. Even if it did, only
>newer Gnome shell versions are supported for that long. 18.04 probably
>has shell bugs right now that are fixed in newer Gnome versions.

Not a Gnome problem (says a person who doesn't even like Gnome
anymore).

When Ubuntu/Red Hat/CentOS/etc release whatever their variation of a
distro with a long support lifetime is they take on the burden of
supporting the software for the duration of that release, not the
upstream.

So in your complaint, it is not up to Gnome to continue supporting
that version of Gnome, it is up to Ubuntu to backport/create fixes as
necessary - that is after all the whole point of offering a LTS
release that people pay Ubuntu to provide support on.