Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Thu, 14 May 2020 06:59:47 -0500, you wrote:

>What i'm saying is: Distros like Fedora actively hurt the very people
>who are directly or indirectly helping them. There are single-person run
>projects, like mine, out there that can't possibly do all the work
>needed to have a dozen packages for each distro. It's just not possible
>or, in the case of Java based projects, not even needed to begin with.

1) nobody is forcing upstream developers to package their projects -
that's what the packagers in the various distrobutions do.

2) the fact that people want to package the Java packages, and that
other people want to install those packages, indicates that there is a
need.

>That is to say nothing of those distros doing things like Fedora now
>does like running X as user which break otherwise perfectly running
>applications.

Running X as a user would be a change done to decrease the security
risk of running applications using X, or X itself.

It is the type of change that anyone should expect a distribution to
make, and the type of change even Apple and Microsoft make (anyone who
used Windows in the past will recall the applications that insisted on
being run as an Administrator for no valid reason, and eventually
Microsoft learned the hard way and cracked down - I am sure just like
you seem to be a lot of Windows developers made the same false claim
that MS was breaking otherwise perfectly running applications.

>I can't check in every 6 months to make sure y'all didn't
>break something.

Then perhaps you need to look for a different hobby/career?

The software development field is full of constant change that
developers need to be aware of regardless of OS or environment.