Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:34 PM Alex Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Obviously count us in, Fabio :-)

*Us* means the three guys from the Dogtag PKI team? :)

> Do we need a two-step bootstrap process? A first (offline) step where we run
> gradle-wrapper and fetch all the resources, put all online dependencies into a
> SRPM/lookaside cache and "finish" the bootstrap build in Koji (giving us a
> bootstrapped version which works) and then replacing _all_ assets with versions
> built using the bootstrapped gradle and finally rebuilding gradle?
>
> It'd be hell to set up the first time (two .specs?) and hell to make sure we
> get every package at the right version. But theoretically possible? :-)
>

> But it might allow us to skip incremental bootstrap from a really old gradle
> version and might even get us a process which works for future bootstraps.

That's an innocent thought :) I'm afraid it won't work though.
Do you think gradle is downloading source code for its dependencies?
Nope, it only downloads prebuilt JARs.

So the build script loads a prebuilt gradle-wraper.jar (that's shipped
with the gradle sources) that then in turn downloads more prebuilt
JARs from the gradle repository to satisfy gradle's build dependencies
which are then used to actually build full gradle ...