Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

----- Original Message -----

Yeah, but mostly expect Dinesh and I :)

> > Do we need a two-step bootstrap process? A first (offline) step where we
> > run
> > gradle-wrapper and fetch all the resources, put all online dependencies
> > into a
> > SRPM/lookaside cache and "finish" the bootstrap build in Koji (giving us a
> > bootstrapped version which works) and then replacing _all_ assets with
> > versions
> > built using the bootstrapped gradle and finally rebuilding gradle?
> >
> > It'd be hell to set up the first time (two .specs?) and hell to make sure
> > we
> > get every package at the right version. But theoretically possible? :-)
> >

> > But it might allow us to skip incremental bootstrap from a really old
> > gradle
> > version and might even get us a process which works for future bootstraps.
>
> That's an innocent thought :) I'm afraid it won't work though.
> Do you think gradle is downloading source code for its dependencies?
> Nope, it only downloads prebuilt JARs.

Right -- I wasn't suggesting that it'd download source code. Merely that a
binary-JAR-bootstrapped Gradle could be used to (re)-build all of the
libraries it needed (from source this time!) and then re-build itself
(using those source-built libraries and building a new gradle from
source).

The internet-downloaded JARs could be put into lookaside and the SRPM
could pull them, put them in the right location, and finish the initial
Gradle build. Koji would finish the build and the resulting gradle would
be available for us to use.

IIRC the restriction on source code builds of packages can be waived for
bootstrap-only builds. So for initial build of gradle, we're fine using
the binary wrapper as long as we fully replace it with source-only builds.

Someone with a more recent understanding of packaging policy can weigh
in here though.

> So the build script loads a prebuilt gradle-wraper.jar (that's shipped
> with the gradle sources) that then in turn downloads more prebuilt
> JARs from the gradle repository to satisfy gradle's build dependencies
> which are then used to actually build full gradle ...

Right :) So we'd take all of those new downloads and put them into
lookaside and ship a SPRM that finishes the build based off of those
internet-downloaded JARs. This satisifies Koji's no-internet policy
while giving us a (hopefully) useful Gradle build system as output.