Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

Dne 05. 05. 20 v 18:42 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 17:45 +0200, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
>>>>
>>> If you only target Fedora, then it means that the same amount of Fedora
>>> maintainers will maintain twofold amount of repositories. Does it indeed save
>>> work? What's the benefit of maintaining more repositories?
>> My personal expectation here would be that if I enabled source-git for
>> my packages, I wouldn't want to touch dist-git and only work in the
>> source-git repos. Yes, there would still be changes coming to
>> dist-git, and I'd inspect those from source-git. I'd even ask
>> contributors to use source-git for PR contributions if possible.
> To give a provenpackager perspective on this - it rarely turns out to
> be possible. Usually when we need to touch someone else's package, it's
> to deal with an urgent problem - say an unannounced soname bump that
> requires a bunch of packages to be rebuilt, a bug preventing a nightly
> compose from running or causing a serious problem in it, something like
> that.
>
> In those situations we usually want to fix the problem *now*, not
> "whenever someone has time to review the 'upstream' PR and merge it and
> do whatever they have to do to trigger a build 'downstream'".
>
> So when I'm trying to fix an urgent issue in a package that tries to
> keep its spec file elsewhere, I usually just fix it in dist-git and
> issue apologies later. I don't see a way this is ever going to not be
> the case unless you give all provenpackagers commit rights to the
> 'upstream' repo, or have a completely automated PR merging system that
> also triggers a downstream build, or something like that.

On this place, I would like to remind this guideline:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_maintenance_and_canonicity

And I don't think this is in place just due to one off fixes as Adam
mentioned, but because of mass cleanup of Fedora .spec files. In recent
history, I remember removal of %clean sections, Group tags and removing
the scriptlets.

Vít