Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 17:45 +0200, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:41 PM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 12:41:06PM +0200, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> > > Petr, I should have probably stressed that our target is Fedora (or
> > > even all Red Hat operating systems). Yes, there are hundreds of
> > > distributions and we cannot solve their problems. We are open for
> > > collaboration though - we cannot drive changes in distributions which
> > > we don't know or use.
> > >
> > If you only target Fedora, then it means that the same amount of Fedora
> > maintainers will maintain twofold amount of repositories. Does it indeed save
> > work? What's the benefit of maintaining more repositories?
>
> My personal expectation here would be that if I enabled source-git for
> my packages, I wouldn't want to touch dist-git and only work in the
> source-git repos. Yes, there would still be changes coming to
> dist-git, and I'd inspect those from source-git. I'd even ask
> contributors to use source-git for PR contributions if possible.

To give a provenpackager perspective on this - it rarely turns out to
be possible. Usually when we need to touch someone else's package, it's
to deal with an urgent problem - say an unannounced soname bump that
requires a bunch of packages to be rebuilt, a bug preventing a nightly
compose from running or causing a serious problem in it, something like
that.

In those situations we usually want to fix the problem *now*, not
"whenever someone has time to review the 'upstream' PR and merge it and
do whatever they have to do to trigger a build 'downstream'".

So when I'm trying to fix an urgent issue in a package that tries to
keep its spec file elsewhere, I usually just fix it in dist-git and
issue apologies later. I don't see a way this is ever going to not be
the case unless you give all provenpackagers commit rights to the
'upstream' repo, or have a completely automated PR merging system that
also triggers a downstream build, or something like that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey