Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

* Lennart Poettering:

> On Mi, 15.04.20 16:30, Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> On Mi, 15.04.20 15:50, Florian Weimer (fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>
>> > * Lennart Poettering:

>> > What will nss_resolve do in this case?  Nothing?
>>
>> The nss_resolve module is just a wrapper around resolved's bus
>> API. And the bus API uses resolved's own DNS resolution code. And
>> resolved is smart enough to automatically become a *consumer* of
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf (instead of a *manager* of it) if it is a regular
>> file instead of a symlink to resolved's own files in /run.
>
> Meh. I mean /etc/resolv.conf here, of course, not /etc/nsswitch.conf.

So if /etc/resolv.conf comes from somewhere else, then nss_resolve will
still forward queries to the daemon, which contacts the upstream server
on nss_resolve's behave (possibly with some caching), and eventually
return the data to the application?

Or does nss_resolve fail with UNAVAIL and expects nss_dns to fetch the
data?

I'd prefer the first approach, but it really means that resolved is out
of the loop only for queries submitted over the DNS transport (so
res_query and the like, or direct use of UDP & TCP).  Hence my
confusion. 8-)

Thanks,
Florian