Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 1:47 AM Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I understand there are practical resource considerations and so on
> > here, but I still think this merits more high level and serious
> > consideration. At the very least, if we have somehow reached a point
> > where Red Hat is no longer willing to provide sufficient resources to
> > run Fedora on the lines the Fedora community wants it to be run, we
> > need to recognize that this is a significant problem that needs to be
> > properly aired and discussed and resolved. In this context I'll note
> > that the apparent significant headcount reduction of RH people working
> > on Fedora infrastructure over the last few years is in itself a
> > worrying trend, particularly if you consider it while reading Clement's
> > email.
>
> This.
>
> As a user, I wont be shedding a single tear for GitLab over Pagure, BUT.
>
> There's something very wrong with the picture here, and this forge
> business seems more like an abscess that finally burst rather than the
> disease itself. I really do not envy being in CPE's pants in this situation.
>
> If the problem is lack of funding for Fedora infastructure, shouldn't we
> talking about that (finding additional sponsors or something) instead of
> which limb to saw off to ensure enough blood for the remaining organs?

I agree, and wonder about this too. But such a conversation
immediately runs into the delicate and awkward realm of corporate
politics: would Red Hat even allow other sponsors, and what are the
parameters by which this could even happen - it's not clear to me at
all.

Also, there are different kinds of resources: funding, people,
hardware (virtual/physical). While the project always has resource
shortages to varying degrees, I'm not certain of any metric to
establish a low watermark; know whether it's being approached before
there's a problem; or a formal mechanism of refreshing teams to avoid
burn out and hitting a resource low watermark.

Another example of this is:

#275 Websites team needs revitalizing
https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/275

from which I've just realized two things: (a) CPE is Fedora
Infrastructure team; (b) due to the lack of an active websites team,
this responsibility is, for now, on CPE.

--
Chris Murphy