Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:33:46 -0400,
 Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I understand the attachment we have as a project to Pagure -- someone
in our community made it, after all, and lots of others have made
direct and indirect contributions. I feel that too! But, we all know
that it needs significant development work for scaling, stability, and
features.

It's more than that. While the community edition of gitlab (assuming we don't get stuck with the proprietary version) is technically open source, the main fork is run by Gitlab who have a conflict of interest in adding features that compete with their enterprise edition. If it comes down to needing a change they don't want to add, then we need to be willing to maintain a fork or switch to something else. While this is true for a lesser amount for using any free software, there normally isn't the same incentive for most projects to reject enhancements submitted back upstream.